Christmas Tour 2019 Living Areas

We often think that the most used places in our
house are the living spaces.

Our family room is the room you walk into from outside.
Out of the car, into the family room.
Just recently I decided to change the pictures on the walls
to represent our beliefs.
I used to have oils and watercolors from Europe, but
we wanted to show who we are and what we believe.

So the big wall in the family room became the place where
we hang the beautiful picture of Jesus and the children in sepia tones,
and the Living Christ and the Proclamation to the Family
in 24 x 36 on either side of it.

It definitely makes a statement.
I love it.
I love what we believe.
I love who we are.  


I have been in process of updating my house.
Last year I stripped all the doors in my family and living room,
from a dark stain to a country farmhouse stripped look.
Here is the table that I worked on the summer before,
It also was stained very dark, and I stripped and used a very
harsh brush to get the stain from all the crevices of the table.

I love how it turned out, then got even braver and stripped
the coffee table and the other end table.  It was 
amazing how just lightening these tables, lightened the room.

I painted the walls a lighter color, not white, but an alabaster
type color.  I still have not been able to bring myself to 
take the wall border off.  I am still in love.  But I do want to 
strip the dark floor casings and door casings, and chair rail this
next summer to look like the doors.


I had Dana build this corner mantle in our family room, the wood stove is just 
below the mantle,  It probably will stay stained dark.
He also made the N and the L for the NOEL.  
Such a handy guy.  


Santa sits at one end of the mantle and my court jester at the other end.


Originally I had only the head of the jester.  His head was on 
a hand puppet sleeve that we played with as kids.
I envisioned him with a body a few years ago, and took him
to a doll maker who turned him into this very cute jester!
The grandkids called him creepy this year. mmmmmm


I love to fill my home with nativities.  This one one of my faves is 
displayed on a silver tray, with Glory to the newborn King behind it.


This table is quite large and sits in the middle of the room.
I added antique red books of Christmas stories wrapped
with twine, a wooden star that I purchased at the Germany
Christmas markets, candle holders with candles, and a
few hand made Christmas mini scrapbooks that I love.


The other nativity in this room is from Kenya.  We purchased it
while we were on a mission in Africa for two years.


It is so cute with a giraffe, cheetah, and zebra as the animals.
It represents the Masi Mara out in the bush in Kenya.


It really doesn't have to take much to have your room transformed into Christmas.
I purchased the red floral pillows a few years ago at a second
hand store, the textured pillows from JoAnns a this spring and the 
buffalo check pillows from amazon just a few months ago.
An easy peasy the couch is transformed into Christmas.

Behind the couch is this sofa table, with a beautiful ceramic
Mary, Joseph, and baby Jesus on a donkey, representing
the escape into Egypt.  Also with a touch of grey.  This year I 
purchased the seltzer bottle at TJMaxx in grey. It sits on a
silver tray with poinsettias and greenery.


The family room feels complete.
The grandkids walk in and are in awe.
Did you see grandma's house?  It feels so good!
We love Christmas at grandma's house.

Then the living room.



Last winter I grey washed this rock wall.
It took the feel of the 70's out of the house and gave us a more
updated feel to the 2019's.
The brown is gone and the grey is prevalent.
I love the change.

This year I water-colored this picture of the 2 sheep.
The larger sheep represents the Savior with 
the crown on his head.  The smaller sheep represents
us, following and listening. 
Becoming.


The fireplace is accented with white and red.
With the grey as the background they stand out beautifully!
And the room feels quite refined.


I do love angels, and some of these came from my mother's home
to mine after she died.  I love to center my home around the 
Savior, so we have many things that represent his name.
The Mighty God.



Our Christus sits on an old phonograph.
Peace
Together these pieces say a lot.



One of my favorite pictures, of Mary and Jesus.  A print
of a painting by Simon Dewey.  
Oh, Holy Night underneath.

And you find sheep everywhere in our house.
We are the followers of Jesus.
This is his birth.
This is who we love.


Isn't she cute!
Angels we have heard on high!

An there it is.
The living areas in our home.

Christ as the center.

Our Refined Farmhouse.

Merry Christmas!

Robin






No comments

Post a Comment